Tuesday 9 December 2008

Saul Bass



Saul Bass was born may 8, 1920 in New York city he passed on April 25th 1996 in Los Angeles, California he was 75 years of age. He started work in 1954 and stopped in 1995 he worked as a graphic designer and a film maker. He made many amazing title sequences to films. He studied at the Art Student's League in Manhattan until attending classes with Gyorgy Kepes at Brooklyn College. Before he was making films he was making prints for film ad's in Hollywood. After this he began collaborating films with Otto preminger, Carmen Jones, Alfred Hitchcock and Martin Scorsese.


For my project i am doing a thriller title sequence and an Saul Bass has done title sequences for thrillers such as:



  • Phsyco

  • Vertigo

  • Anatomy of a murder

  • Cape ear
He has also done others title sequences like:


  • Ocean's eleven

  • Goodfella's

  • Around the world in 80 day's

I looked at a few of his thriller opening title sequences to give me ideas for my own title sequence. Phsyco helped me allot from the text point of view when i first watched it i had many ideas running through my head of what text i could use on my Title sequence.


Vertigo is a very intense title sequence when i was watching it i was wanting to watch the film to see what would happen in it. I really wanted my title sequence to have the same effect on people.


Anatomy of murder made me realise that you don't have to have real people in a title sequence to make an impact animated can have the same affect. Also i really like the way Saul did not go over the top and make it to flashy it is very plain but, interesting at the same time.


No comments: